NEPAL - Earthquake Reconstruction
Bhattadande Village Earthquake Reconstruction Project
Safety: Structural Safety - Earthquake reconstruction
Location: Kathmandu Valley, rural, road access to top of village.
Previous works completed: immediate earthquake relief efforts including temporary kitchen shelters, personal health kits & funds to families for food.
Summary of activities:
Work done and tools developed during Sanitation Studio 2016:
- Applied testing of HH developed:
- Construction manual
- Materials and cost calculator
- Earthquake simulation and bank construction model
- Reworked Construction manual including lessons from traditional construction techniquesthat performed through earthquakes
- Illustrated construction management checklist
Proposal for the first Demonstration house:
- a single storey stone / mud house
- utilise the existing footings from the previous 2-storey house, which is on the ‘cut’ – ie is not on ‘fill’
- build walls to cater for adding a second storey later
- use the red ‘stickier’ mud for the walls (more houses using the red sticker mud survived than using the brown mud)
- a single pitch roof, falling to the rear (away from the front working area)
- the new house to be 2feet wider at the rear (existing footing would have to be moved back)
- a new internal dividing wall with door and end window added.
- Plan to commence construction of the Demonstration house after the wet season in August / September as per the family’s request.